Monday, October 22, 2007

Prospect v. Buffalo Grove (4): Loose Pieces Drop Off

English Grandmaster John Nunn frequently writes about a princple that he refers to as LPDO which stands for "loose pieces drop off." The idea is that even among strong players, all the opening theory and middle game strategy often comes to nought as the game is decided when an undefended piece falls victim to a tactic. If players learn early on to be circumspect about leaving loose pieces on the board, they would find their results improving more rapidly.

Prospect's 1st Board Peter Dimopolous and 3rd Board Tejas Shah both played the Queen's Gambit as white and Buffalo Grove's Yuriy Nartov and Nedium Bajramovic both accepted. Peter and Tejas both wound up with a loose bishop on c4 which came under attack from a knight on e5. It is there that the similarity ends. Peter responded to the attack by moving his bishop to safety while Tejas opted for a tactical response that involved planting a loose bishop on f4. Can you guess who won their game and who lost their game?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was one bad game on my part. I hope we play Prospect again some time . Thanks for analyzing our games.

Yuriy

Vince Hart said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Deciding when to maintain the tension in a position and when to release it by exchanging some pieces is not easy. Most players at your level exchange much too quickly because they feel more comfortable with fewer pieces on the board. Very few really handle the simplified positions any better.

Your willingness to play for complications is a good thing and it will enrich your game in the long run. The downside is that some of your losses will be just as spectacular as your wins.

Nedim said...

Haha! I won. I hate playing against Queen's. Partly because I don't really know what I'm doing. But I'm going to learn the Nimzo-Indian Defense and begin practicing that. hahaha! I look back at my Prospect game last year that you have on here and I laugh. It's hard to believe that I improved so much. Tournaments help! Not going to lie...Thanks for analyzing our games.

-Nedim Bajramovic